Feb 18, 2014

Homeschooling......Why I WANT to be a Homeschool Mom!

I was reading an article.....THIS ONE......and it was on the reasons why she homeschools her children and after the year my sweet Noah, who is in 6th grade has had these three things stuck out to me!


  • Shelter: I want to protect our children from being taught about pole dancing at the lunch table {true story from a reading friend}.  I think it’s a good thing for childhood innocence to be kept in-tact to whatever degree it may. Which goes along with…
  • Childhood:  This is huge in my book.  Childhood seems to have all but disappeared from our society.  By 8-years old many girls have ditched their dolls for magazines and make-up.  Boyfriend/girlfriend relationships are pushed, and even sought after.  Where have all the children gone?
  • Physical Safety:  Keeping our kids away from drugs, gangs, profanity, violence, and bullies is a good thing!
This is all so true!  Where has childhood gone?  Why did my son have to learn about sex, what a douche is, and MANY other nasty things that I never wanted in his mind until he was mature enough to handle it!  
It was mostly due to the fact that he and us, his parents, wanted him to play sports!  There are some nasty mouthed kids at his school and we go to a Christian school!!!!!  ( I know that going to a Christian school doesn't mean they are better believe me!  I guess I am naive to think they would be!)
The bullying is horrible this year.  My son has shed many tears for some of his friends and even himself at times.  He has dealt with racism, rudeness, foul mouths and much more!  What is wrong with our schools?  Where are the parents?  What happen to teaching our kids morals?  

This has really had me thinking about homeschooling full time all of my children at least in the older years.  We are giving public school ONE chance next year and if things aren't going like I hope we are out of there!  
I know some of you are thinking you can't shield your child from everything and it's not good to be over protective BUT the way I look at it is I have ONE chance to get this right with each child.   I speak from experience with Taylor, my oldest, that you blink and they are ready for the real world.  Schools are so different than even they were when he was younger!  He stayed innocent so much longer than my sweet Noah!  

This was another reason she listed that struck me.....

Courtship:  Another aspect of life that my husband and I learned about late is courtship.  What a beautiful idea that the Lord already has your spouse predestined for each person.  No need to date around before marriage.   I think that is a beautiful goal.

Now hubby has a little bit different view on this than me but I am really starting to think about this courtship thing and what it means!  That's a different subject for a different time! One to think about though!

I am just praying about my children's education and listening to my motherly instinct but I do know that I am going to try my best to keep my children's head filled with things of God and not of this world that is getting so tainted!  

I hope you will too!


No comments: