Sep 11, 2011

Changing a Prayer......

Everyday my husband goes to his "real job"....the one he gets paid to do. He leaves the house at the same time each morning and gets home at the same time each evening. His job is stressful at times but he is great at what he does and we are very blessed that he has it. I never worry about him or his safety while he's there.

Then there is his "other" job. The one where he works about once or twice a week and almost always that is at night. The one where he wears a starched uniform......a bullet proof vest...and a belt that weighs about 15lbs and contains a gun and some other stuff he may need. This is also the job that he does for FREE...he does NOT get paid. This is the job that when he leaves I pray over him EVERY SINGLE TIME he leaves and prays he comes home! Lately, I have worried more and even told him not to long ago that I do not like him doing this anymore....even though I know he loves it. I know it means a lot to him to have earned that badge and he takes it very serious. He graduated top of his class at the academy and won every award there was for his class.
I even voiced to my close friend last week that I was praying that God would take the desire to do this job away from him and that he would quit. I have prayed that a few times lately!

Then today....our preacher started the service with a "thank you" to our armed forces and then to anyone that is a "first responder" and it dawned on me..."That is what Marc is!" He stood up, along with a bunch of others, and I found myself being very proud. I also suddenly felt very convicted about my prayer lately. God reminded me at that time who Marc really is....he is a helper....he is quick on his feet....he is calm in a storm....and he is very smart! He is someone that you would want protecting you or responding to you in a tragedy like 911. The Lord reminded me that if there weren't people like Marc then what would our world be like. I know that I would want him or someone like him protecting me in a time of crisis! So, right then I changed my prayer from my selfish want to just prayer of protection and a prayer of thankfulness for making Marc the way he is.

3 comments:

Had and Linds said...

Funny how often we pray to change someone else when it's us who needs the changing! I do it so much! Praise God He is patient with us when we're slow to learn. Thanks for sharing and you have much to be proud of-- this post honors your husband well.

Hoots Momma said...

les, praying for protection over M everytime he steps out to serve our community. praying for you that God will give you a peace that no matter what, He is our ultimate protector and He will meet your needs... now and forever... in any situation. He is your rock and he has blessed m with the ability/gift to be a strength to you and others. Bless M for the willingness to serve and bless you for being a praying supportive wife!!

kk Taylor said...

I understand. My son is a single father raising a 10 year old son. He is also a Sergeant at the Children's Advocacy Center of Collin County. He takes horrible, horrible people off of the street. Before that he was 4 years in Narcotics, before that 4 years on the street working nights. I understand your prayers. You are a mother of about to be 5. I admire you so, so much and loved meeting you at The Praire. Part of it was for this reason. I admired you before. Now I admire you more. You need to know your family is surrounded by an encampment of angels. Rest easy, the Lord is in control.